Russell Bonduriansky - Principal Investigator
● Evolutionary theory
● Phenotypic plasticity
● Non-mendelian and nongenetic inheritance
● Sexual selection and conflict
Interested in PhD/Masters/Honours?
A PhD scholarship is currently available.
● Evolution & Ecology Research Centre awards 2015: The paper in Ecology Letters by Angela Crean and co-authors won the High-impact Paper Award, and Russell won the Supervisor Excellence Award.
● Welcome to new Honours students Kumudika Gunaratne and Claire Santhaseelan.
● Congratulations to Erin and Ange, whose paper on imaging of sperm movement has been published in the journal Microscopy and Microanalysis.
● Congratulations to Nathan, whose first paper has been published in Animal Behaviour, and featured in NewScientist.
● Congratulations to Ronda, Erin and Amy on their great talks at the recent Postgraduate Research Forum.
● Congratulations to Nathan Burke on winning the Crispin Rice Prize for Outreach and Communication in Evolution and Ecology!
● Research led by Angela Crean has shown for the first time that individuals can 'inherit' features from a previous mate of their mother who is not their genetic father. Featured by National Geographic, BBC, CBS, Time, Newsweek, The Guardian,The Telegraph, The Washington Post, Science Daily, Esquire.
● Amy and Foteini are setting up an experiment on male reproductive ageing in neriid flies.
● Lab Discussion Group (a.k.a. Cake Eating Group), 14/08/2014
● Congratulations to Erin Macartney and Angela Crean on their highly-acclaimed presentations at ISBE2014 in New York City.
● Thanks to Margo for the wonderful tie, which features spines on a beetle penis (dissected by Luis Cayetano). Finally, Russell owns a tie and can look respectable at special occasions.
● 6/11/2013: Congratulations to Oscar, Nathan and Aidan on their fantastic Honours exit seminars!
● 30/10/2013: We celebrated the (near-) completion of Honours projects at our lab picnic above Coogee beach. It was a very hard day.
● 2/10/2013: Most of the lab attended the Australasian Evolution Society meeting in Geelong, Vic. Nathan, Angela, Lára, Erin, Oscar and Aidan all gave excellent talks. We also encountered some of the local wildlife. Congratulations to Nathan on being chosen as runner-up for the Best Student Talk award!
● 13/09/2013: Russell gave a talk at the National University of Singapore.
● After their careers in research, some of Nathan Burke's stick insects retired to a good home at Tigger's Childcare. Apparently, they're very happy there.
● Angela Crean, Lára Hallsson and Margo Adler presented their work at the recent European Society for Evolutionary Biology meeting in Lisbon. Russell gave a talk at this year's Queenstown Research Week meeting on epigenetics in Queenstown, New Zealand.
● Welcome to visiting student Tsai-Ming Lu from the OIST Graduate School in Okinawa, Japan. On his first visit to the lab, Tsai-Ming was treated to Nathan's fabulous mealworm cookies.
● Ever wanted to know how to sniff a spiny leaf insect? Here's how it's done (all part of serious research by Nathan Burke on sexual conflict in facultatively asexual animals).
● Congratulations to Ange on her wedding!
● Congratulations to Margo Adler on winning the Outstanding Evolution and Ecology Thesis of 2012 award and the Crispin Rice Prize for Outreach and Communication in Evolution and Ecology! Margo received her awards at the Evolution & Ecology Research Centre awards ceremony on Friday, 8th of March.
● Welcome to new students Chris Allister, Nathan Burke, Oscar Lee, Erin Macartney and Aidan Runagall-McNaull.
● Congratulations to Elizabeth Cassidy on submission of her Masters thesis, and her excellent Exit Seminar
● Congratulations to Margo Adler on submission of her PhD thesis, and her highly successful Exit Seminar
● Russell has received an ARC Future Fellowship for 2012-2016
● Elizabeth Cassidy and Russell gave talks at the First Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology in Ottawa (July 6-11, 2012)
● Russell attended a meeting on the evolution of genomic imprinting at the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center, USA
● Angela Crean has received an ARC DECRA fellowship and grant for 2012-14
● Eleanor Bath won the 2012 Rhodes Scholarship for PhD studies at Oxford University
● Margo Adler won the Best Talk award at a recent Postgraduate Research Forum
● Elizabeth Cassidy gave a talk at the 2011 meeting of the Australasian Evolution Society in Townsville